Bele Mak Kocke | White Poppy Squares
One of the first things to greet you when you arrive in Serbia is the aroma of delicious baked goods. The Serbian kitchen has deep roots in the Turkish Empire and their extensive history has embellished their cuisine with a vast range of tasty meats, pickled delicacies, and of course sweets. Today, my sister-in-law prepared Bele Mak Kocke, a sugar coated dessert that is perfect for the festive holiday season.
- 2 Cups of Sugar
- 3 Cups of Flour
- 1 Packet of Yeast
- 1/2 Cup of Poppy Seeds. The poppy adds flavor and my sister-in-law recommends more than less.
- 1/2 Cup of Oil
- 2 Cups of Milk
- Powdered Sugar
1. Mix sugar, flour, yeast, poppy, oil, and milk.
2. Pour mix into cake pan lined with wax paper.
3. Let sit for 5 minutes as you pre-heat oven.
4. Bake at 350 F for 40 minutes until brown.
5. Let cool and cut in squares.
6. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.